top of page

Accommodation and Halls of Residence


Halls of Residence (also known as residential colleges) are typically for full-time first-year students. They provide a welcoming community to help you settle into university life.

You'll pay rent for your room, and in most cases this will cover, food, power and internet costs. Halls are a great place to get academic support and get involved in social events.

Applications often open around August–September so you’ll need to ensure you have all the documentation ready to submit an application. Places are limited.


In most cases, you’ll also need to pay a ‘bond’ or ‘deposit’ if you accept an offer.


A deposit will often cover things like the bond, administration fees and activities fees. A bond is an advance payment the Halls of Residence ask students to pay as security to cover any unpaid rent or damage to the property.


Halls of Residence applications are interested in an applicant’s academic achievements and personal qualities and attributes.

You may need to provide statements and information about the following as part of your Halls of Residence application:

  • personal statement: leadership, sporting, cultural and community achievements and involvement

  • statement about your study plans and ambitions

  • list of accomplishments, awards, leadership positions

  • academic results (e.g. NCEA record of achievement)

  • a reference from your secondary school

  • photo – head shot


Scholarships are sometimes available to help with Halls of Residence costs. Check out the universities’ scholarship pages.



You may choose to flat rather than move into a Hall. The universities have Accommodation Offices that can help find a suitable property to rent. They can also provide information on costs, lease agreements and finding flatmates.

bottom of page